Saturday, February 21, 2009

9.

INSPIRATION ART

Week Three
(g)
february 21, 2008

the inspiration:

the result:


materials used: gesso, paint, paper, tape, clock hand stickers on particle board.

on the piece: I chose a cross section image of a tomato for this weeks assignment. My initial thoughts were 'pin-cushion, fruit or vegetable identity crisis, mr. tomato head, soup...and finally, innards'. Innards became anatomy and birth. I took this opportunity to learn something new and decided to try image transferring as I have always liked the look and versatility of the technique. You can layer several images and still be able to see each individual part. I started with the particle board and adhered an image of Michaelangelo's "The Creation of Man". I then transferred text from one of my college Biology books on human egg development. The text at the bottom is a test sheet from the printer. The barely visible (although if you click on the picture, it will enlarge. I mention this as if you may not know because I only recently discovered this) fetus on top is from a series of studies done by da Vinci and the text behind it is from a botony book. I used tape transfers of a man and woman stripped of flesh. The same technique was used for the tomato. I then splashed it with some watered down gesso and gold paint and ooo la la! I'm really happy with this piece...a nice recovery from last week.

*gmb

I posted a few days early because I finished the piece in two days as it was fairly easy. Amber will have both last week and this weeks assignments done for Tuesday at the very latest.

3 comments:

rachel_jackson said...

i like this a ton. from everything to the conceptual development to the really great surface quality of the paper, and the final "flow" of the piece..its awesome. and you're awesome! and it was great to see you last night. :)

Amber Joy said...

Hey I'm loving it. Your pieces are getting more and more abstract. Another really funny thing...so far mine has been innards too. Very different but that was my thought...like tomato guts...haha.

burnt mayonaisse. said...

aw shucks thanks!

so bizarre that we have had all very similar ideas for the past three weeks. woo hooooo